How to wire a Pentroller plug

Captain Kernow

How to wire a Pentroller plug

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:35 pm

Thanks to the good offices of a friend, I have acquired a hand-held Pentroller.

I now need to attach a DIN plug to it.

At the end of the lead there are 4 wires - brown, blue, red and white.

I don't want to risk frying the internals, so I'd be grateful if someone could tell me which two wires are for the A/C input, please.

Many thanks.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Philip Hall

Re: How to wire a Pentroller plug

Postby Philip Hall » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:02 pm

Tim, there is a post on the other Pentroller thread that has a diagram of the DIN connections. Brown and blue are AC, pins 1 & 4. (so long as your DIN plugs and sockets are wired to the same convention!)

Philip

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:18 pm

Thanks, Phil.

I use 5-pin DINs and wire then up a bit differently to how you describe, but identifying the AC wires was the main thing I needed to establish!
Tim M

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:48 pm

Any help?

Pentroller001.jpg

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:40 am

Porcy Mane wrote:Any help?

Pentroller001.jpg

Yes, thanks, I eventually found the link to this document on the other thread and it confirms which wires are the a/c input, which is all I wanted to know!
Tim M

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:02 pm

Does the Rover handheld controller enable you to operate an additional train (on a separate circuit), as well as one operated by the main Pentroller unit?

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:39 am

Despite knowing that the blue and brown wires were for the a/c and despite checking the corresponding correct pins on the 'female' part of the plug more than once, I still managed to commit a schoolboy error and wired the pins on the 'male' plug (ie. the one attached to the controller's lead) the wrong way round, so that when I came to test the Pentroller, I achieved exactly what I was trying to avoid all along - namely sending 16v a/c into the controller via the DC output wires.

The controller buzzed angrily each time I tried to apply power, the red light came on, but of course, there was no movement on the test track. That prompted me to check once more, when I discovered my mistake. I then re-wired the 'male' plug correctly and the controller seemed to work.

Hopefully I haven't done it any lasting damage? The 16v a/c was only wrongly connected for a short time...
Tim M

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:00 pm

Julian Roberts wrote:Does the Rover handheld controller enable you to operate an additional train (on a separate circuit), as well as one operated by the main Pentroller unit?

There are two very different handheld Pentrollers in near-identical boxes.

There is the secondary handset for a panel-mounted brake-coast Pentroller, this is one knob/one train at any time, not both.

There is a stand-alone handset, which takes 16v AC in, and gives 0-12v DC out. This is a self-contained independent controller (there are a number of variations in the PCB within those).

The panel mounted Pentroller came in a variety of types. I'm aware of: Brake/coast with two levers. Speed-knob only small square panel. Speed-knob plus ammeter rectangular panel (very useful as a bench testing tool).

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:02 pm

Rover and Hand Held versions then.
The panel version only had one version as far as I knew.
Builder of Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:41 pm

As Nigel points out, there were more than one type of panel mount Pentrollers. I have three of the larger rectangular Coast and Brake versions plus two of the smaller, square, direct only types, although these are mounted in small plastic boxes for use as handhelds. I also have one handheld Pentroller, but had others in the past but these were rather unreliable.

johndarch

Postby johndarch » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:51 am

You were lucky to get away with it Tim. I didn't but eventually managed to get mine repaired.

Return to “Electrics”