High Peak Dioramas

A forum for the new Society Jubilee Diorama Project to celebrate upcoming anniversaries...
hughesp87

High Peak Dioramas

Postby hughesp87 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:47 pm

As someone with a completed layout on the exhibition circuit (Obbekaer) and a permanent layout under construction at home (Friden), I was intrigued by the prospect of the Diorama Challenge. It could potentially afford the opportunity of modelling something slightly different, or perhaps of having a go at a 'signature scene' that just wouldn't fit within a major project. It might also allow me to contribute to exhibitions in a small way, once the days of transporting a 6 metre long layout round the country are over.

Then it occurred to me that this might be the opportunity to resurrect some of the models that were rescued from my previous layout Middlepeak, following its retirement from the exhibition circuit. They had been carefully stored, because I couldn't bear to part with them, but until now I couldn't really think of any way of using them.

So to test the theory, work has started on a first diorama, which uses the model of Middleton Top Engine House that was a feature of Middlepeak. The initial work has been to plant the building on a baseplate measuring 300mm x 300mm. With the engine house taking up a diagonal position, there is room to represent the up and down incline tracks that ran in front of it, as well as the end of the siding that was used to unload wood for the boilers. The building itself will need some small repairs, but in general it's in sound condition, and an acrylic cover will provide protection once the diorama is finished. Scenically, it's a question of adding ash ballast, grass and bushes and some dry stone walls, and this little project will allow me to experiment with one or two ideas before they are applied to the much larger Friden layout.

20240423_140100.jpg

However, this is not necessarily the end of it all, because examination of my rather large photo archive for the line has suggested that I might go on to replicate some of the other signature scenes and activities on the Cromford & High Peak. Some of the attached photos illustrate what I'm thinking about, and one idea might even result in an ultra-small working layout - time will tell!

SPI111.jpg
A 'Hanger-On' at work on Sheep Pasture Incline

KIL51.jpg
Quarry traffic in Middleton

LCF41.jpg
Taking on water at Longcliffe

At the very back of my mind is the fact that the year 2030 will see the 200th anniversary of the opening of the line. With a number of these bi-centennials coming up, maybe our hobby has something to contribute to the wider audience for these celebrations?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geraint Hughes
Cromford & High Peak in P4
Danish Railways in P87

barhamd

Re: High Peak Dioramas

Postby barhamd » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:15 pm

Good thinking and it will give people a chance to see the side of the models which was only visible to the operators in the past.
David

David B

Re: High Peak Dioramas

Postby David B » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:17 am

I look forward to seeing more of this.

Return to “Jubilee Diorama Project”