Kyle MPD

What individual members are up to.
barrowroad

Re: Kyle MPD

Postby barrowroad » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:35 am

Julian, Just a thought to save your knees, why not get a pair of fold up DIY 'A' frames and support your boards at a more comfortable height?
I have a pair for Barrow Road.
IMG_20171103_175823623 (1280x720).jpg

Robin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:47 pm

Thanks for the :idea: Robin!

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:06 am

Last Sunday saw the last bit of plain track installed about 14 months after the first one. At last I can take the equivalent photo to one showing the scene in HR days.

20240223_213036.jpg

httpswww.ambaile.org.ukdetailen276381EN27638-the-main-railway-line-entering-kyle.htm.png

It's time again to pay due homage, thanks, appreciation to Martin and Templot.

Wiring was ready a little later. The control area now looks like this.

20240222_091915.jpg

20240222_092120.jpg

The videos show I think all the presently possible moves. When properly interlocked some of these won't be possible. It will all make more sense when the levers move actual signals.

https://youtu.be/Dckr5agln1g?si=Zar2BxdVBr7kyvlJ
https://youtu.be/P4fYA-P13ZE?si=dtMjF-ja7Y0PA__s

(What's the technique for attaching YouTubes in the [youtube][/youtube] thing?)

Next, signals and two fiddleyards. The track I will leave unpainted and unballasted till after the hot weather and test through running with the fiddleyards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:25 am

Julian Roberts wrote:What's the technique for attaching YouTubes in the [youtube][/youtube] thing?

Hover the curor over the 'youtube' button to see the usage, you need the short version. Just use the bit of the url between be/ and the ?
The red bit here,
https://youtu.be/Dckr5agln1g?si=Zar2BxdVBr7kyvlJ

AS:

Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:17 pm

Thanks for that clear explanation Keith. I've managed to fix the link on the previous page now for the E switch video :thumb

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:01 pm

Dilemma time - how long to make the fiddleyards. I have plenty of space in my attic (apart from the clutter) so the issue is, what is sensible for a layout that I intend to exhibit, and hopefully fit into a Skoda Octavia Estate.

I had intended to have the maximum length of a train shunting between Up and Down sides of the station. If it comes to the turntable (as they did) it has to fit between the TT and the signals at the catch point. This maximum is 11 wagons or four coaches.

But I'm thinking a more modest 3 coaches is enough, that four doesn't actually add much to the scene; this will improve the FYs to scenic layout ratio, a problem with a layout with two FYs. I reckon even these FYs will be intrusive enough.

At the station, operation will I hope be as if prototypical, with no handling, so all tracks are set to normal 6ft way distance. Locos will only join their train just prior to departure, room isn't needed to store any on the FY.

At the Inverness end the FY traverser roads have to incorporate enough room for loco plus coaches, and the joining neck has to also be the length of a loco, so this FY is bigger. The intention is to avoid handling a loco changing ends, I'm keen to avoid lifting cassettes from one end to another.

The max loco length is a Black 5. If I make something bigger ever for special trains it will have to have special arrangements. The TT won't be long enough to turn it.

The attic length 6250mm is on the Templot drawing. The layout length here would be 5120mm, of this the scenic length is 2400, so still less than half.

Anyone got any suggestions etc?

Chris Pendlenton

Postby Chris Pendlenton » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:45 pm

Julian,
An attractive project and how lovely it will be to see a H R Clan in residence one day.
Re suggestions, and noting your aim to minimise loss of scenery to fiddle yards, I'd just remind you that cassettes do save length required for running round and you dont need to lift the cassettes, just slide them and similarly shunt back the train cassette to make room. Turn them on the deck so no turntable either. But you know that so other factors involved?
ChrisP

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:10 am

Julian Roberts wrote:Anyone got any suggestions etc?

I have used traversers successfully and my methods are described in Scalefour News 176. They work.

Terry Bendall

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:13 pm

Thank you Chris, and Terry. Yes Chris I'm really looking forward to finishing the Clan Goods when the layout is more advanced. I have the body and tender already made by a master, Ray Nolton.

I think you've both seen the traverser-turntable that John S builds for the WS4G layouts and his own, and I must be spoiled in that these have been my normal operating experience. The latest layout Garlieston was a minimum space project and I've not enjoyed using its cassettes at all, though the object was to manipulate them without lifting as you suggest. So I'm intending to build traversers without cassettes. I have been promised some help, hopefully in the form of a kit.

Thinking about the FY on the left of the drawing I put here yesterday (the Up or Inverness end) I thought I'd see how a JS type traverser/turntable looks. Here the whole train turns round including the loco, so nearly two loco lengths space would be saved. I started off with a train length or 3 coaches plus long 4 or 6 wheel van - an extra 145mm, total 910mm. The revolving Up traverser length, to hold the loco too, is 1165mm

I've made an estimate of the length needed for the joining neck, of 150mm. This FY comes out at 1360mm, and the other end 1270mm, total 2640mm. That's 80mm less FY than yesterday's drawing, yet I'm getting a longer train. Total layout length 5040mm.

TTFY 3 coaches BZ Black 5.PNG

I don't underestimate the difficulty of making a traverse/turn, but operation of the Up FY would be considerably simpler.

Here are some photos (I'll attach them in an hour or so) I took today of 3 coach length trains, and with the extra van length. Very few Kyle trains were as short as 3 coaches it seems, looking at photos, but with the van I think a more mainline length is somehow suggested. Again if anyone has a comment on these photos, or on the layout length, especially as regards the space available at exhibitions, please do.

hollybeau

Postby hollybeau » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:34 pm

Hello Julian,
I have no experience of cassettes but would recommend the "Denny" style fully turning turntable. My contraption shown below is capable of holding a loco and four coaches (albeit Midland 6 wheelers). Where I differ from most I have seen on the exhibition circuit is that I have a complete disc rather than just the "plank" on which the tracks are laid. My reasoning is that since you need to allow for the swing of the deck anyway then you may as well be using that space to increase your stock holding. That is why I have a number of short sections of track laid that are long enough to hold a loco or piece of stock in the otherwise "dead areas" of the disc. Of course as these sections don't run through and out the other side if you drive a loco in it will have to come out in reverse. Still, better than having no where to park it. My solution is also complicated by having a further set of tracks above which serve a colliery branch off to the right of the photos. These tracks also connect to the main layout - down a gradient to the left. I wrote about this in Scalefour News a few years ago.
The diameter of the circular deck is 0.85m if that helps.
The ends of the "main lines" have a bent aluminium strip which serves as a turning handle or a buffer stop depending upon whether it is in the up or down position.
At the very back are three storage areas for excess stock.
Must remember to do a clean up before photographing this again! And also notice that the tender to the Compound is off the tracks!!
PXL_20240301_150530645.jpg

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:38 am

That looks rather amazing Bryan, thank you for the suggestion (and apologies for my slow response). It took some time for me to work out what was what! The aluminium strip is also a useful answer to the question I posed separately about how to stop a train rolling off a traverser.

I'll think about that possibility along with the other option. Here are a few pictures of John S's Kettlewell traverser/turntable, this one though is long enough for only two coach trains + van. They show I have not included the space between the end of the traverser and the turntable in my drawing a few days ago, so getting those distances is the next thing.

20220305_144303.jpg

20220305_130207.jpg

20220305_144701.jpg

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:24 pm

This month has seen further refinement of the interlocking to correspond with Keith's locking table given here :-
viewtopic.php?t=7603&start=25#p103608
I hope that everything is ready for the installation of the actual signals.

And the Down fiddleyard design has been further refined with an extra 10mm here and there.

Signals are completed and I will soon take possession of them.

I wrote this guide (attached) to the operation yesterday: any critique is welcome.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:13 pm

An Easter break away has on the many rainy days produced the road bridge beams by the shed. Just the handrails to attach. Very much appreciation to John S who designed the etches. I had big problems with my iron tip so used far more solder than I should.

Also, stunningly exquisite and delicate signals made for me by Karl Crowther, to whom massive thanks and appreciation.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:54 pm

hollybeau wrote:Hello Julian,
I have no experience of cassettes but would recommend the "Denny" style fully turning turntable. My contraption shown below is capable of holding a loco and four coaches (albeit Midland 6 wheelers). Where I differ from most I have seen on the exhibition circuit is that I have a complete disc rather than just the "plank" on which the tracks are laid. My reasoning is that since you need to allow for the swing of the deck anyway then you may as well be using that space to increase your stock holding. That is why I have a number of short sections of track laid that are long enough to hold a loco or piece of stock in the otherwise "dead areas" of the disc. Of course as these sections don't run through and out the other side if you drive a loco in it will have to come out in reverse. Still, better than having no where to park it. My solution is also complicated by having a further set of tracks above which serve a colliery branch off to the right of the photos. These tracks also connect to the main layout - down a gradient to the left. I wrote about this in Scalefour News a few years ago.
The diameter of the circular deck is 0.85m if that helps.
The ends of the "main lines" have a bent aluminium strip which serves as a turning handle or a buffer stop depending upon whether it is in the up or down position.
At the very back are three storage areas for excess stock.
Must remember to do a clean up before photographing this again! And also notice that the tender to the Compound is off the tracks!!
PXL_20240301_150530645.jpg

Almost looks like my loco stud (less the Terrier) !
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Return to “On My Workbench”