EFE Rail Hymek Conversion with Gibson wheels

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
betehumane

EFE Rail Hymek Conversion with Gibson wheels

Postby betehumane » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:18 pm

I've started conversion of an EFE Rail Hymek using the Alan Gibson wheelsets (EM gauge). I'd read elsewhere that this was a straight swap and drop in, but although that might be the case with the Ultrascale (metal backed?) wheelsets, with the plastic-centred Gibsons there doesn't seem to be any vertical play in the pickups to move them closer to the wheel rim (although they can be bent out laterally to match the wider gauge, no problem)

Does anyone know if the EFE design has changed subtly from the original Heljan to cause this, or am I missing something which would make a Gibson swap easier?

Thanks,
Andy

betehumane

Re: EFE Rail Hymek Conversion with Gibson wheels

Postby betehumane » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:54 pm

Further digging has led me to this very useful picture - http://www.clag.org.uk/hymek.html
As far as I can tell the pickups look the same as for the EFE version, which would seem to suggest that a Gibson conversion would never work without some sort of rework - I'm thinking about soldering wire pickups bent to shape over the originals. Fine if this is what it takes, I just hope I'm not missing something obvious...

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Mon May 01, 2023 12:01 am

It was a very long time ago that I converted one of these, not long after they first came out under the Heljan banner, but I have a vague recollection that I had to modify the pickups.

Philip

Mark Forrest

Postby Mark Forrest » Mon May 01, 2023 7:41 am

I initially used Gibson wheels in mine, but swapped them out for Keen Maygib wheels as their all metal so give a bigger contact patch to align the pick ups to. These days I default to either Keen Maygib or Black Beetle wheels for diesel conversions for this reason.

betehumane

Postby betehumane » Mon May 01, 2023 8:45 am

Thanks - looks like modifying the pickups is unavoidable. I'm weighing up soldering an extension wire to each of the contact pips vs a whole new sprung wire. You live and learn...

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Mon May 01, 2023 9:47 am

I converted one of the Heljan ones many years ago. I ended up using Branchlines all metal coach wheels, which worked very nicely. Filed off the pin points. Original pickups. It has covered many miles since.

The other thing I had to do was replace the motor - it had only two speeds - fast and stop. Replaced it with a Canon motor - transformed.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Mon May 01, 2023 12:04 pm

The one on the CLAG site converted with Gibson wheels easily, but the design of the bogie movement meant that it derailed too often on turnout 16-pulled on Tony's Green Street. Penbits bogies were the superb solution in more than one way...

That one now has a ModelTorque motor, Micron Rx set at the lowest pwm so that the motor 'growls', even before movement. And battery - of course - so that any intermittency of pickup doesn't affect the running at all.

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Mon May 01, 2023 3:27 pm

Can't comment on the EFE Hymec but to go off any of the other EFE products that I've seen, the drive train and pick ups usually remain unaltered.

I've converted a few Heljan 17's and class 26/7 using Gibson, Ultrascale and Branchline wheels. When using Gibsons the pick ups require judicious amounts of bending, coaxing and tweaking to reliably contact the metal lands on the rear of the wheels. This was complicated by the sideframe mounting spigots doubling up as the pickup locators, and further sandwiching & distorting the pick ups.

This is a Clayton 17 that I did a few years ago. You can probably see how much the pick ups had to be bent.

Hjan17Model-095-EditSm.jpg

Should anyone be interested in it running:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFbRA-qDTLY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Mon May 01, 2023 5:54 pm

Tim V wrote:Replaced it with a Canon motor - transformed.

What was the designation of the Canon motor please, Tim - can you recall?
Thanks.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue May 02, 2023 9:27 am

I used Gibson's in mine and don't recall any problems with the pick ups.

It's worth mentioning that maygibs and branchlines are too small for a hymek though 3ft 6 vs 3ft 9
Jim Smith-Wright

http://www.p4newstreet.com

Over thinking often leads to under doing!

Mark Forrest

Postby Mark Forrest » Tue May 02, 2023 12:01 pm

jim s-w wrote:It's worth mentioning that maygibs and branchlines are too small for a hymek though 3ft 6 vs 3ft 9

I take the pragmatic approach of using Maygibs (which are 14.5mm diameter) in prototypes with 3'9" wheels and Branchlines/Back Beetle (14mm) for those with 3'7", as wheels would have worn in use anyway.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Tue May 02, 2023 12:44 pm

Yeah I can't really do that with my green diesels as they would all be pretty new in the period the layout is set. ;)
Jim Smith-Wright

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue May 02, 2023 3:34 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:
Tim V wrote:Replaced it with a Canon motor - transformed.

What was the designation of the Canon motor please, Tim - can you recall?
Thanks.

The box says 18x33. There may be pictures on my workbench thread.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

betehumane

Postby betehumane » Sat May 06, 2023 1:45 pm

jim s-w wrote:I used Gibson's in mine and don't recall any problems with the pick ups.

I don't suppose you would have a photo of this Jim?
Thanks

Daddyman

Postby Daddyman » Sun May 07, 2023 7:46 am

This might help, from Tim Shackleton's review/conversion of the Hymek in MRJ 149:

20230507_072313.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jim s-w

Postby jim s-w » Sun May 07, 2023 9:35 am

betehumane wrote:
jim s-w wrote:I used Gibson's in mine and don't recall any problems with the pick ups.

Thanks

I assume you mean the pick ups though? I don't have pics but can take one for you. There's not much to look at though TBH

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Sun May 07, 2023 3:04 pm

Another possible option, if using Gibson wheels and to save faffing about aligning the pick ups, might be to use the Mark Humphry's pick up disks available from the stores.

Part no. MHD379

P

betehumane

Postby betehumane » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:50 pm

A quick update on my efforts...

I actually discovered that for EM gauge purposes, the original wheels can be refitted to the Gibson axles.
I hope this isn't sacrilege round these parts but it seems to have worked!

betehumane

Postby betehumane » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:51 pm

Porcy Mane wrote:Another possible option, if using Gibson wheels and to save faffing about aligning the pick ups, might be to use the Mark Humphry's pick up disks available from the stores.

Part no. MHD379

P

Thanks - I've just acquired a second Hymek (Heljan original, and yes identical to the EFE...), So I may try this option with the Gibson wheels I have left over...

betehumane

Postby betehumane » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:52 pm

jim s-w wrote:
betehumane wrote:

Thanks

I assume you mean the pick ups though? I don't have pics but can take one for you. There's not much to look at though TBH

Jim

Jim, I'd certainly be interested if it's not too much bother, thanks very much.

Return to “Starting in P4”