Success at the Scalefour Society Workbench

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
John McAleely
Web Team

Success at the Scalefour Society Workbench

Postby John McAleely » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:37 pm

Today I got up early (for me on a Sunday, anyway), gathered a list of tools I had set aside last night, and headed up to Kings Cross to the Workbench hosted by Terry Bendall.

Having joined the society eighteen months ago (whoops, how did that time pass?), the advert for the workbench seemed like a good way to get this years modelling started.

We got stuck right in with some soldering, and after a demonstration, I put together my first bit of structural soldering:

For scale, the long side measures around 25mm.

We did some more soldering to start construction of a compensation unit (more later...), and then had a go at using low temperature solder to attach whitemetal to brass:

The day built up to assembling a compensation unit on a Bachmann wagon (mine to take away!):

and here is my first compensation unit (together with the first soldering for a model):

I am really pleased with this, and it has nicely overcome a hurdle in my progress to building a P4 layout - soldering up bits of brass for various things.

I'm so proud, I videoed it working over an obstacle, and it's here on YouTube:

We also tackled some track, which I think I'll post about separately.

Thanks are due to Terry and his assistants - it was great to be able to try things out and ask questions. Both soldering and track making will be things I look forward to doing more of. My fellow attendees made the day go well, and the MRC provided a great location and excellent tea :-)

If you're tempted to attend something like this (perhaps at Scaleforum?), I would heartily recommend it. I will certainly be looking to attend more workshops like this in the future.

edit: Youtube tags
Last edited by John McAleely on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Tatlow

Re: Success at the Scalefour Society Workbench

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:05 am

John,

It is good to hear that you enjoyed the day and, particularly, you felt that it was beneficial. Much of what you did you already knew - it just maybe was that you did not know that you knew it! Well done therefore!

If you have left enthused to take further steps then not only has the workshop had a success but I hope you will find that you do too.

Modelling an item or a layout is merely a series of small steps. None of them are very big, but together they add up to the completed article. With a bigger subject, it is simply a question of the more the steps it contains.

Keep us informed of how you do with the turnout and also other things that you take on.
Mark Tatlow

chrisf

Postby chrisf » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:12 am

I also attended and would like to add my thanks to Terry, Mike and Mark for their tutoring and patience.

I attended principally because I had doubts of my soldering skills having taken 6 hours to assemble a Comet coach bogie recently. I feel a lot better and more confident now! My experience with fitting the inside bearing rocking W-iron has done nothing to dissuade me from the view that sprung is best but I will finish my workpiece, honest guv. Taking forward the ply and rivet turnout - the homework! - will be fun ...

I hope that there will be more of these sessions and would encourage the hesitant to put their heads above the parapet next time. If yesterday was any guide you will be among friends.

Chris

John McAleely
Web Team

Postby John McAleely » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:43 pm

Thank you Mark - yourself and Mike were very able assistants. Seeing Mike 'P4' a stock Jinty was very handy - useful to confirm I'm on the right road with the Class 20 I have in bits on my workbench.

I've ordered some new soldering sundries from Eileens, and then I need to find my supply of rail. As Chris mentioned, we have some homework from the workbench, in the form of a ply & rivet point to build up. I got the crossing V soldered on the day, and I'm looking forward to finishing the rest...

I wonder if any of the other attendees can post up pictures of their work? There were a lot of running wagons on Sunday. Mine is currently in pride of place under this computer monitor :-)

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:50 am

It is good to see from these postings that those who attended the Workbench on Sunday enjoyed themselves. I have also had similar comments direct to me from other members of the group.

For those who were unable to come, the committee is already discussing further similar events, and it is likely that a workshop similar to the one that has happened will take place later in the year, probably around the end of October, and probably in Manchester although exact times and location have yet to be fixed.

And for anyone else who feels the need for a similar event in their area, make it public on here and let us know. Even better if you find a few other like minded people as well but obviously anything that happens will be publicised.

A suitable follow up session to the one that has taken place has also been discussed and will also be publised later.

Terry Bendall

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:32 pm

In reply to a question that I had off line (to which I think the answer is worth sharing):

The buffer guage that I was using is produced by Morgan Gilbert (I think I had said it was by Palantine at the weekend, which I find is wrong!). It is available from the Scalefour Stores (which have just reopened, you can get your orders in today) and is reference AJHG. Bill Bedford does a similar one (http://www.mousa.uk.com/Cat/OLCat4/jigs_and_tools.html) which is essentially the same except that it does not have the central prong for setting the AJ coupling - obviously only relevent to an AJ user.

This gauge is now one of those "couldn't do withouts"........................

Doc58.doc

NB, I do not have my picture files in the office. I will edit this post tomorrow to make these pictures immediately visable rather than as this attachment.

Now in.................

DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0245.jpg

With regard to my view on soldering irons............I reckon that a respectable 25W (Antex or similar - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4069) is the starting point and sensible for most work. If you start soldering big things though this might not be man enough and you will want a 50W or bigger. However, the bigger ones are a bit chunky for fine components and if you are doing work to white metal you will probably melt more than you wish - hence the need for two.

Alternatives, if you want to get a little bit more exotic are the Antex variable temperature one (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4085) which I thought was a bit crude or this Maplin digital control iron (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=98133). I have the latter and thought it is quite good to use but burnt the element out in about 3 months. No problem it is on warranty, but if that is the life expectancy of the element in normal use, it will be a waste of time!

I dare say that other people have different views and thus this is not a "you must" list, just what my advice is!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mark Tatlow on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Tatlow

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:29 pm

I wouldn't agree that it's crude Mark, I've had excellent results from the 50W Antex http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4085 , and it's been in production a long time so spares should be available for some time to come. In fact it's my second choice of iron, after a Weller EC1201 that is no longer available.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:01 pm

In response to a further question off line, the axle alignment jig that I used at the workshop was by Brassmasters http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/axle_gauges.htm. £5 for a pair of them, one for longer wheelbases and one for shorter.

Another, couldn't do without tool in my eyes. In truth you can, but it takes one more variability out of making working models.

DSC_0251.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark Tatlow

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:07 pm

Tim V wrote:I wouldn't agree that it's crude Mark, I've had excellent results from the 50W Antex http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4085 , and it's been in production a long time so spares should be available for some time to come. In fact it's my second choice of iron, after a Weller EC1201 that is no longer available.

Agghh well, proof that there are many ways of skinning the cat!

Probably the conclusion is select a mid sized but not bulky iron as a first choice (and it can be temperature controlled or not) and then if you do bigger stuff, get a big one. Once you have selected it, if you feel comfortable with it stick with it. They are tools, not fads!
Mark Tatlow

ScottW

Postby ScottW » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:34 pm

Tim V wrote:I wouldn't agree that it's crude Mark, I've had excellent results from the 50W Antex http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4085 , and it's been in production a long time so spares should be available for some time to come. In fact it's my second choice of iron, after a Weller EC1201 that is no longer available.

I would agree with you Tim. I have been using an Antex 50W soldering iron for many years and would thourghly recomend it. It is the only soldering iron I use and have successfuly soldered Brass, nickel silver and white metal with it.

Regards

Scott

Return to “Starting in P4”