London suburban roofs in weather, 60's

This section allows guests to comment or ask questions. Posts from guests require explicit approval (which generally takes a day or so), before they appear, so that we can prevent unwanted spam.
Andy Reichert

London suburban roofs in weather, 60's

Postby Andy Reichert » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:28 pm

My memories of regularly using the 1950's Quint Arts entirely match the following Flickr picture.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/51274451905

It's hard to describe the roof color as other than grimy matte black. Whether in the rain (most often), shine or in between. I'm not sure if the carriage is still wearing "Stratford Brown" from the early BR repainting from the original teak. I have a vague memory of seeing one set freshly painted in maroon. And it standing out compared to the regular sets.

Andy

Philip Hall

Re: London suburban roofs in weather, 60's

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:04 am

It’s a lovely picture, and it looks right, but it is a restored picture as are many on this site. I have to say it is a very good restoration job.

Philip

jon price

Postby jon price » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:27 am

Stephenson's Rocket leaves Manchester for Liverpool (colourised image)

*Image removed after copyright breach
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

Noel

Postby Noel » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:09 am

Philip Hall wrote:It’s a lovely picture, and it looks right, but it is a restored picture as are many on this site. I have to say it is a very good restoration job.

Indeed, the colours look entirely credible for 1960. Interesting that the water filler cap isn't secured, presumably because it took too much time to undo and do up again and there wasn't too much time to spare. I wonder who "Our Hilda" was?
Regards
Noel

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:55 pm

[/quote] I wonder who "Our Hilda" was?[/quote]

The fireman's mother-in-law perhaps? :twisted:

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:07 pm

Andy Reichert wrote:I'm not sure if the carriage is still wearing "Stratford Brown" from the early BR repainting from the original teak. I have a vague memory of seeing one set freshly painted in maroon.

This set is definitely in maroon, not even the pre-1956 red. Remember these trains were air-braked and stopped regularly (and quickly) en route and so suffered from the effects of brake-block dust just as much as any Southern Electric set, but both the red and maroon BR standard suburban carriage liveries were affected more by dust than the electric green livery. I agree that a near-black is an effective description of the roof colour.

Suffolk Dave

Postby Suffolk Dave » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:59 am

A wonderfully atmospheric photo, along with several others in the Flickr gallery.

As for the roof, well, it looks a match for Lifecolor paints 'roof dirt' (UA 722)
Check out my modelling activity here: https://www.instagram.com/4mm_dave/

Return to “Guest Book”