Dapol L& Y Pug - DCC?

Sapper

Dapol L& Y Pug - DCC?

Postby Sapper » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:38 pm

I have one of these fitted with the High Level chassis kit and am wondering if anyone has been able to fit in a decoder, and if so what sort. There is little room with the motor taking up virtually all of the boiler space and the only place may be somewhere between the frames. I would like to avoid it being in the cab.

Any Ideas would be be welcome.

Sapper

nigelcliffe

Re: Dapol L& Y Pug - DCC?

Postby nigelcliffe » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:59 pm

Got to be possible, because compared to many of my 2mm models (with DCC and stay-alives) a Pug in 4mm is massive. It does help if the installation was planned before the chassis build :-).

Look at the smallest Zimo decoders, and a DIY stay alive consisting of charging circuit and a few Tantalum capacitors. If you can get over 1000uF in there it will sail over tiny specs of dirt that otherwise cause slight stuttering in movement.

Sapper

Postby Sapper » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:40 am

Hello Nigel
Thanks for your suggestion and I have had a look and seen there are some decoders that will squeeze in between the frames - just! The next thing will be to sort out the pickups but at least there a some options on this aspect.

I will keep you posted.

Regards

Sapper

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:03 pm

Sapper wrote:I have one of these fitted with the High Level chassis kit and am wondering if anyone has been able to fit in a decoder, and if so what sort. There is little room with the motor taking up virtually all of the boiler space and the only place may be somewhere between the frames. I would like to avoid it being in the cab.

Hi Sapper,

Been there, done that :-)

On Nigel's recomendation, I fitted a Zimo chip - I'm afraid that I can't remember which one without sticking it on the Sprog and reading the details. But I'm sure that it's superseded by smaller and better ones now. Stay-alive wasn't a thing when I built this, so I didn't factor that in. It should be perfectly doable though.

Some photos:

The wiring to the motor went up through a couple of holes drilled in the bottom of the boiler.
Pug DCC wiring.JPG

This is where the DCC chip sits, made safe from accidental shorts with a bit of heatshrink.
Pug build (61).JPG

I originally tried coil pickups, but it was all a bit busy and they were quite a drag as I'd used a reasonably heavy p/b wire. I did manage to get six pickups on four wheels though :-)
Pug build (60).jpg

So that was ripped out, and simplified. One pickup mounting plate...
Pug build (63).JPG

And a couple of lighter gauge wires tucked in behind the brakes, bearing on the tyre treads.
Pug build (64).JPG

I hope that gives you some food for thought. Despite the apparent lack of space, it's all eminently doable. I really enjoy the challenges of working on small locomotives, where the build process for something like this is so much more satisfying than having to solve the same issue on an A3 or a King...

If you would like, I can take more photos in daylight (these were from the original build in 2011) but there is probably not much more to see.

This is the finished locomotive, BTW.
Pug build (70).JPG

Have fun!
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Worzels Works

Postby Worzels Works » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:06 pm

Hi Paul,
As a prospective small engine owner (on the hunt for a pug too) I'd certainly be interested in any more pics! following this thread with plenty of interest :thumb
Yours aye,
James

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:53 am

Worzels Works wrote:Hi Paul,
As a prospective small engine owner (on the hunt for a pug too) I'd certainly be interested in any more pics! following this thread with plenty of interest :thumb

Well, you are very welcome to have a look at how I found the build. There are random postings about the Pug on my old workbench thread here: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=6821&hilit=pug&start=25#p3981

If I were to give two pieces of advice about the Pug kit build (and High Level Kits in general) they are:

1. If you think the instructions are wrong, read them again. Chris writes some of the best instructions in the business, and they are absolutely spot on 99.8% of the time.

2. For the Pug *specifically*, the firebox has the etched lines on the inside:

Pug build (7).jpg

Yes, I do know of someone that shaped it the other way around, which gives a very nice planked effect...

Have fun. I've also posted about a build of a GER Coffeepot (nee Neilson industrial 0-4-0) on here. That's another High Level kit that is a joy to build, even if rather fiddly. I forget the exact number, but there are something like 108 separate etched parts that go into a locomotive that is only about 70mm long! :)

Feel free to ask any questions, as that is what this Forum is for... And I'm reading your thread on your prospective layout with much interest, as I live only just up the road in North Somerset.

Best,
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Sapper

Postby Sapper » Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:05 pm

Hello Paul and Nigel
Sorry not to have got back to you before but only just seen a notification with your answers.

I was able to get a small N Gauge Zimo decoder which fits in nicely where shown in your picture, and the next job is to sort out some binding to the coupling and then put in some collectors, probably using fine p/b wire with a coil in.

All a bit fiddly but hopefully will work out in the end.

Anyway thanks for the postings and you never know, I may post a picture or two of the Pug at work.

Regards

Sapper

Return to “Steam Locomotives”