Deltang chips

Steve Carter

Deltang chips

Postby Steve Carter » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:54 am

One of our AG members is exploring Radio Control and other members recommended he read the articles in Scalefour News and then went for a Starter Kit from the stores.

He has been researching and found an announcement on the Deltand website, dated December 2023, saying that "the last receivers and transmitters of all types have now been sold. The radio chip that I use is no longer manufactured. So I will not be able to make any more. I have kept enough chips for warranty claims and repairs. Thanks to everyone for the support over the years."

See https://www.deltang.co.uk/news.htm

Understandably our group member is now concerned and whilst he expects there will be alternatives but is the Society aware of this or is he barking up the wrong tree? He does not want to start a system if it is being discontinued and not compatible with any new replacement.

Anyone know anything please?
Steve Carter

davebradwell

Re: Deltang chips

Postby davebradwell » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:21 am

Won't this always be the danger with such components that are made for a different market which moves on with no need to consult us? New devices will be found and all will be well again but isn't regular disruption inevitable? The advantage of this approach is low-cost when compared with the dcc systems in which our manufacturers have invested heavily. Dead track too!

DaveB

James Walters

Postby James Walters » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:51 am

Hi Steve,

I had a similar concern. My understanding is that alternative receivers are available. I have emailed Micron asking for their recommendation as to a direct replacement of the Deltang unit as supplied with the R/C kit. I'll post their reply on here as soon as I have it.

Best,

James

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:51 am

Steve Carter wrote:Anyone know anything please?

This is unnecessary panic Mr. Mainwaring!
Deltang (David Theunissen) ceased trading through illness some years ago and passed on the marketing to Andy Rutter at Micron Radio Control:- http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/ who has sourced alternatives:- http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/pro ... r601a.html for locomotives with motors from 2.7v to 13v.
Due to the low voltage radio chip being no longer available, the Rx41 receiver is out of stock, but there are some Rx45s still, until stock is gone. Hopefully, by then Andy will have sourced an alternative, like he has already for the 6x series - the 601a, which is an improvement.

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

40C

Postby 40C » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:19 pm

That's a blow regarding the Rx41 as I have recently started playing around with them in order to do radio controlled wagons to simulate gravity shunting.

Return to “Radio Control”